COMMUNICATING ONE TO ONE.
Assessing with a staff member can be formal (part of the way the unit is run) or informal (arranged to deal with a particular issue raised by either side). Use one-to-ones to check performance and find out if coaching or counselling is needed.
- Ask all those invited to a meeting to come well prepared.
- Remember that a “good meeting” is one that has produced results.
- Listen to your staff. Coaching or counselling may provide solutions to discontent.
- Be aware of your staff’s problems, because they affect performances.
THINGS TO DO:
- Try to meet staff for formal one-to-one meetings at least monthly.
- Stick to an agenda, and make you agree on any decisions.
- Remember to listen to what is being said, and do not dominate the meeting.
Before you suggest professional counselling to a member of staff, check that they agree they have a problem that needs help. Meet on neutral territory, where you will not be interrupted by people or phone calls.