Using Information Technology:
New technology has greatly increased the choices for communicators. The personal computer, in both desktop and portable form, is a superb message centre for managers receiving and relaying the information quickly all around the world.
- Get expert advice on the best use of your information technology (IT).
- Experiment with new ways of exploiting the internet.
- Use e-mail’s “reply” feature to respond swiftly.
POINTS TO REMEMBER:
- Faxes can be either free-standing and paper-fed or linked to a personal computer.
- Managers without laptops or notebook computers can consider themselves under-equipped.
- The World Wide Web is the future of communications for most purposes.
- The Internet is a powerful communications tool mainly because of its ability to mix all media in real time.
- Cutting out communication waste helps everybody.
Send only essential messages.
Keep messages short.
Avoid delays in replying.
CONTROLLING THE INFORMATION FLOW:
To keep communication by electronic means fast and efficient, do not send irrelevant messages. Write succinctly and to the point, and reply to incoming messages as soon as possible.